Thursday, September 9, 2010

Food for Thought

I've always been more of a baker than a cook as baking just comes easier to me. Recipes seem easier to follow and I can pick up on baking techniques pretty quickly (specifically when working with pastries). But this doesn't mean I don't love cooked food; it just means I don't have that eye (or brain?) for it. There's a whole other set of techniques and flavors that I appreciate as a consumer (haha) but have a hard time replicating. I mean, I can churn out some good meals, but I'm no chef. I am and always will be an everyday kind of cook.

That said, cooking--because it comes off as a mysterious, elusive skill--fascinates me. So I've been reading about it, meaning cooking as an art form; a political platform; and a link to other cultures, other people, and the past.

Below are some of the magazines I've recently come across that feed my interest.

Gastronomica

Meatpaper

Some magazines have food issues that are also worth checking out, such as the March 2010 issue of Oxford American, and I'm pretty interested in this one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment